The Ministry of Energy suggests creating the Energy Storage System Operator
The Ministry of Energy of Ukraine plans to introduce a new participant in the electricity market – the Energy Storage System Operator, the press service reports.
The Ministry of Energy submits for public discussion the draft law "On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine Concerning the Development of Energy Storage Systems".
The document provides for:
- introduction of the new participant in the electricity market – the Energy Storage System Operator and the establishment of its rights and obligations;
- regulation of the issue of licensing energy storage activities;
- prohibiting transmission and distribution system operators from carrying out energy storage activities;
- clarification of the procedure for holding tenders for the construction of new generating capacity;
- establishment of requirements for the use of energy storage systems by producers of electrical energy, including from renewable energy sources.
Energy storage is one of the promising technologies that will increase the flexibility of the UES of Ukraine. Such batteries can be used to maintain frequency (primary regulation) and transfer power from the period of its surplus to periods of its deficiency (secondary, tertiary regulation).
The active development of balancing capacities, in particular, storage systems, will provide the energy system with the necessary flexibility and stability, which is an important condition for the synchronization of the UES of Ukraine with the European energy system ENTSO-E, the Ministry of Energy mentioned.
To recap, the Ministry of Energy will develop a mechanism to guarantee the origin of "green" electricity.
Tags: electricity, renewables, , power system balance, , power system, The Ministry of Energy, energy storage, Halushchenko
German gas shortage may prevent exports to Europe
France says it can do without Russian supplies
749 settlements de-energized due to hostilities