Over 10 months of 2019, Ukraine produced 20.532 thousand tons of thermal coal used by thermal power plants and combined heat and power plants, which is 9.9% less than in January-October last year. Of this volume, state-owned enterprises produced 2.319 thousand tons of fuel, or 23.2% less than for 10 months of 2018, and private enterprises – 18.213 thousand tons, 7.8% less than a year earlier.
The target figure, formed by the Ministry of Energy and Environmental Protection, for this period amounted to 23 672 thousand tons. Thus, the implementation of the ministerial plan by all coal-mining enterprises totaled 86.7%. At the same time, in October 2019, thermal coal production amounted to almost 2.200 thousand tons, which is 8.1% less than in October 2018.
Thermal coal production (both – private and state enterprises) dynamics in 2019:
- January - 2 132.7 thousand tons (plan implementation - 88.7%);
- February - 2 095 thousand tons (96.5%);
- March - 2 309.4 thousand tons (105%);
- April - 2 110.4 thousand tons (n.a.);
- May - 2 109.1 thousand tons (89.8%);
- June - 2 127.7 thousand tons (92.3%);
- July - 2 032.9 thousand tons (79.2%);
- August - 1 782.7 thousand tons (73.6%);
- September - 1 979 thousand tons (77.6%);
- October - 2 199.8 thousand tons (84.9%).
The leader in coal mining is Dnipropetrovsk region, where DTEK Pavlohradvuhillya produced 14,799 thousand tons of coal, which is used in the energy sector for 10 months of this year. 4.244 thousand tons of thermal coal were mined in Donetsk region (the implementation of the ministerial plan – 74.9%), in Lviv region – 1.132 thousand tons (105.6%). Volyn region is characterized by the lowest production figures, the production volume of which amounted to 61 thousand tons (41.6% of the ministerial plan).
As reported, the largest coal power plant in Arizona, USA, was recently closed.
Ukrainian mines have slowed the pace of decline in coal production
Coal stocks in Ukraine are almost 2 times higher than a year ago
Stocks of thermal coal at TPPs and CHPPs in Ukraine (as of 18.11.2019)